Caring for your Thyroid
Why is the Thyroid Gland so Important?
You probably already know that the thyroid is an important organ, and it is in charge of many functions in your body. It is located in the front of your neck and produces hormones to communicate with the rest of the organs within the body.
What Happens When it Malfunctions?
When the thyroid malfunctions or starts to slow down you may feel any number of symptoms such as:
- Heart palpitations
- Depression or Mood Swings
- Digestive Issues
- Hair Loss
- Weight Gain
How Can I Take Care of My Thyroid?
A good nutritional program is key to getting your thyroid back in good working order. At Thrive, our Practitioners specialize in Designed Clinical Nutrition to ensure highly personalized treatment.
How To Maximize Thyroid Health Results:
To maximize the results you get on your Designed Clinical Nutrition Program and help improve your potential for healing, watch out for the following:
- SUGAR: We say it a lot, but sugar and sweeteners cause thyroid and hormone issues across the board. Many people’s hot flashes, menstrual problems, and mood swings have been regulated just by reducing sugar intake.
- AVOID FLUORIDE: Switching to a natural fluoride-free toothpaste will help to keep your thyroid healthy and happy. Fluoride is also found in our drinking water, so a filter is recommended for this as well.
- AVOID CHLORINE: This includes tap water, both drinking it and showering in it, as well as chlorine bleach used for cleaning. We highly recommend investing in a water filter! Need recommendations? We are happy to help!
- AVOID WHITE BREADS AND PASTAS: Bromine is found in bleached substances, namely enriched white flour, and is damaging to the thyroid.
- CAFFEINE: this stimulant can affect your thyroid and hormone function in much the same way that sugar does. It can also cause weight gain, even if you drink your coffee black, so keep this in mind if you’re having trouble losing those excess pounds.
- USE NATURAL BEAUTY PRODUCTS: avoid skin avoid skin and beauty products that contain chemicals and heavy metals known to disrupt hormone function in the body. This can include:
- Mineral Oils
- and anything with the letters “-eth”
In order to improve the health of your thyroid, it is important to look at these different substances and how they enter in to your daily life. Pick ONE to work on at a time, and we can help you find healthier alternatives. Gradually make changes, and your thyroid will thank you!